Translate

Friday 20 January 2017

The Violin

The Violin
We are all learners, even the adults who work as teachers in our school.  Over the Winter Break, I decided that I would begin to learn to play the violin.  I love listening to the experts play, and I wanted to join in the fun myself!

I remember the very first moment I picked it up.  I carefully put it under my chin, picked up the bow, and excitedly made my very first sound.  Ye - owww!  It was horrible!  What an awful noise!  How disappointing!

But then I remembered - new skills are always challenging the very first time we try.  Many people fall off their bike on their first ride.  Many people burn the cookies the first time they bake.  Even reading a book is tricky at first!

But each time we work on a skill, we get just a little bit better.  When we have a friend help us out, we improve even faster.  So I tried my best and tried again - and again - and again.  I practiced and practiced, and now I can make some nice sounds.  So I brought my violin into school and played for the students.  I explained that I would do my best, but I was just a beginning to learn this skill so it wouldn't be perfect.

Proudly, I played "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star".  The students were a very supportive audience, and were eager to ask questions:
  - Why are there holes in the violin?
    - What is the violin made of?
      - How does it make high notes and low notes?
        - Why do you put it under your chin?
          - Do you have to use the bow to make a sound?

What an exciting discussion!  Students shared what they knew, I added some more information, and we looked up some answers on the internet.  Then we drew, and wrote, and talked some more.  How wonderful to explore this amazing instrument together!
            

No comments:

Post a Comment